Tuesday 26 June 2012

Popsicle Time!

 I'm learning that when it comes to eyeballing patterns for these felt toys, that it really helps to be a spatial thinker. You really have to be able to look at a shape from a picture, and be able to see what every dimension of it would be piece by piece. Going from a picture of a 3D object, to 2D pieces, and back to a real 3D object can be tricky. Thankfully, I've always been good at spatial visualization. You'd think I would have been better at Geometry. (Contrary to what my math teachers always told me, I have never needed to use algebra or any more advanced maths since I left school...which is good, since my math skills are roughly that of a 10 year old.)

Yesterday I made the cherry and orange popsicles from the Ice-Cream Shoppe set. As I was making them, members of the peanut-gallery asked if I was making a shoe, a boat, a purse, etc...but in the end they finished up looking like popsicles. 

I worked at a leisurely pace - stopping for various activities with my munchkin, making lunch, going to the park. Even so it only took me about half a day to make these. I'd say about 2 hours work from start to finish, if I'd worked right through.

If I'd had any real popsicle sticks, I would sewn the felt handles around them for added stability. As it was, I didn't have any, and decided to do without. The cherry popsicle just has a felt handle, and unfortunately it came out very floppy. Not a huge deal though since my daughter just holds her hand around it, and it holds the popsicle upright. The orange popsicle has a stick from outside in the handle - not ideal since it's not flat, but it holds the popsicle up, no floppy-pop.


All in all, a cute addition to the Ice-Cream Shoppe set. The only things I have left for that set are a vanilla scoop, 2 cones, and some soft serve ice-cream. I also want to make a cute box to hold it in...maybe something that looks the cardboard cylinder containers that you get ice-cream from at the store...I think I'll do pink and white stripes for that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment