Monday 16 July 2012

We all scream for ice-cream!

My husband finally arrived (we haven't seen each other in 2 months!) and I was SO excited to see him. I was even more excited that he brought my giant bag of felt.

*Kidding, I was happier to see him...but I won't deny that I squealed in delight when I saw the felt*

Turns out my imagination had trippled the amount of felt I actually have, so I definitely won't be able to finish The List with what I've got. But happily, my husband also brought his wallet, and therefore I can buy more felt! :)

Yesterday, I began work on the vanilla scoop for the Ice-Cream Shoppe set, and also went ahead and made cones.

You know the drill by now...
I love the little sprinkles on the vanilla scoop. I think they turned out very sweet. If you look closely, you can see the multicoloured threads through the white felt. I probably should have used a second piece of white in that area, to make it more opaque, but I didn't think of it at the time, and my daughter loves it regardless.



Originally, I had planned to make 3 different scoops, and then two different kinds of cones, and you could put whatever scoops on whichever cones - mix & match. But I just didn't like the way the cones were turning out, and I didn't like how the scoops sat on top of them. So rather than stressing out about it, I just decided to keep it simple.

In the end, I just sewed plain "cone coloured" felt cones to the bottom of the scoops. I started with the vanilla, and just stitched it to the scoop as is.  But I didn't like the way the "drips" lay against the cone. So with the strawberry scoop, I pulled the drips off the scoop and stitched them directly to the cone, and then stitched the scoop on top of all that. Still didn't love the way it looked. I finally got it right with the chocolate scoop. I pulled the drips off the scoop and stitched the scoop to the cone, and then the drips around the scoop AND the cone. This produced the cleanest lines - not as much bunching. If I were to do it again, I'd do them all that way.


They're a bit small, but they're perfect for little hands. My daughter has been playing non-stop Ice-Cream Shoppe, asking everyone which flavour they want. And that's what makes it all worth it.

I still have to make a cute container for all of the ice cream and popsicles to go into, but I need some additional supplies for that. Almost finished though!

No comments:

Post a Comment